This article describes how to transfer your Yola domain registration to another registrar. So how do you figure out if transferring is the right option for you? Here are a few things to consider.
Before starting a transfer
Before initiating the transfer, ensure you understand the benefits of hosting a domain with Yola. A domain with Yola includes:
- Full DNS management in My Yola.
- Premium hosting, which provides 99.9% uptime and advanced malicious attack protection.
- Access to the innovative Sitebuilder and professional help from the top-level support team.
When you transfer away, you will have to pay an upfront transfer cost to the new registrar. This is usually the full annual cost of a domain. In addition to this, you may also have to pay additional fees for access to premium site-building and hosting.
Note: If you own a Yola Mail mailbox, it will be lost after the domain transfer. All emails will be lost as well.
Pointing your domain
If you still wish to use your domain with another hosting provider, we recommend pointing your Yola-purchased domain to another hosting provider rather than transferring away. This is a low-cost alternative to domain transfer.
Depending on the host you’re moving to, you will either need to edit the nameservers or add some DNS records that your new host will provide. Review this tutorial to learn how to change the name servers of your domain or this tutorial to learn how to manage DNS records.
Your domain will still be hosted with Yola, and you will get a reminder from us when your domain is up for renewal. This will allow you to avoid the upfront transfer costs and still get the benefit of Yola DNS management services, access to the Sitebuilder, and technical support for your domain.
Transferring your domain
If you still want to transfer your domain away, before doing so, please note that domain registrars require a mandatory 60-day waiting period between a domain purchase and transfer. This is something beyond our control.
If it is less than 60 days since you purchased a domain from Yola, you will need to wait before this period passes to transfer the domain.
After the above is sorted out, follow these steps to transfer your domain away:
- In the My Yola dashboard, click Domains in the Topbar.
- Click the Advanced settings link next to the domain you want to transfer to another provider.
- Click Transfer your domain away from Yola to expand the section.
- Uncheck the box next to Lock this domain. This unlocks your domain.
- Click Apply changes.
As the next step, you will receive the authorization code in an email from our domain registration partner OpenSRS/Tucows (check your spam folder too). Provide this authorization code to your new domain registrar to confirm the transfer.
Note: Most domain transfers are complete in 5-7 days after your confirmation.
Transferring your .uk. or co.uk domain
If you wish to transfer away your .uk or .co.uk domain, the steps are different. Please perform the following:
- Request an IPS tag from your new registrar.
- Email this tag and your domain name to firstname.lastname@example.org. Ask us to add the tag to your domain in order to transfer it.
- Once we have added the tag, the transfer process will be initiated.
- Your new domain registrar will contact you once the process is complete.