You can always transfer your Yola-purchased domains to another domain provider. So how do you figure out if transferring is the right option for you? Here are a few things to consider.
Before starting a transfer
Before you initiate the transfer, make sure you understand the benefits of hosting a domain with Yola. In addition to this, you may also have to pay additional fees for access to premium site-building and hosting.
A domain with Yola includes:
- Full DNS management in the My Yola dashboard
- Your own mailbox for your domain which would be lost after transfer. All emails will be lost as well
- Premium hosting which includes 99.9% uptime and advanced malicious attack protection
- Access to the innovative Sitebuilder and professional help from the top-level support team
When you transfer away, you will have to pay an upfront transfer cost to the new registrar. At the minimum, this is usually the full annual cost of a domain.
In addition to this, you may also have to pay additional fees for access to premium site-building and hosting.
Please note that domain registrars require a mandatory 60-day waiting period between purchase and transfers. This is something beyond our control. If it is less than 60 days since you purchased the domain from Yola, you will not be able to transfer it.
There are two options for transferring your domain away from Yola.
Pointing your domain
If you still wish to use your domain with another hosting provider we recommend pointing your Yola-purchased domain to another hosting provider rather than transferring away. This is a lower-cost alternative to domain transfer.
To do this you need:
- Access your domain settings in My Yola. For this, click on the Domains tab in the upper menu.
- Click on the Advanced settings link next to the domain you want to point to another provider.
- Edit your DNS settings. Depending on the host you're moving to, you will either need to edit the nameservers or create an A record that your new host should provide.
Your domain will still be hosted with Yola and you will get a renewal reminder from us when your domain is up for renewal.
This will allow you to avoid the upfront transfer costs and still get the benefit of Yola DNS management services, access to the Sitebuilder, and technical support for your domain.
Transferring your domain
If you wish to incur additional upfront fees and completely transfer away, follow the steps below:
- Log in to your Yola account.
- Click Domains in the upper menu.
- Click Advanced settings next to the domain that you want to transfer.
- Select Transfer your domain away from Yola.
- Uncheck the box next to Lock this domain. This unlocks your domain.
- Click Apply changes.
As the next step, you will receive the authorization code in an email from our domain registration partner OpenSRS/Tucows. Provide this authorization code to your new domain registrar to complete the transfer.
Tip: If you have not received this email within 24 hours, please check your Spam or Junk folders.
Note: It can take anywhere between 12 - 14 days for the domain transfer to complete. You will then need to submit a transfer request for the domain at the new provider, using the instructions given by that service.
Transferring your .co.uk domain
If you wish to transfer away your .co.uk domain, the steps would be different. Please follow these steps:
- Request an IPS tag that you require in order to transfer the domain to the new registrar.
- Email this tag and your domain name to email@example.com. Ask us to add the tag to your domain in order to transfer your domain.
- Once we have added the tag, the transfer process will be initiated.
- Your new domain registrar will contact you once the process is complete.