In case you purchased a domain elsewhere, however, now you want to manage it through Yola, you can surely transfer it to us. This tutorial covers the steps required to transfer the domain from another registrar.
Please note: currently, you can transfer .com, .net, .biz, or .org domains to Yola. If your domain has a different extension, you can always point it to Yola.
Before the transfer
Please take note of these important points:
- To be eligible for a transfer, your domain needs to have been registered for more than 60 days. It must also not have been transferred to another registrar within those 60 days.
- Make sure you can access the email address you originally used to register your domain. Once you begin the transfer, our domain registration partner will send a confirmation email to that address.
- You will need to obtain an EPP or authorization code from your current domain registrar.
- Make sure your domain is unlocked. To find out if your domain is unlocked, look it up on WHOIS (a domain lookup tool). If the Status is described as "ok" then it is ready for transfer. If the Status is "clientDeleteProhibited" then the domain is still locked. You will need to remove "privacy" from your domain's settings.
- During the transfer process, your domain will not be available online. To keep your website available, you can publish it to a free Yola subdomain. Once the transfer is complete, you can connect your custom domain to your published site.
Starting the transfer
- In My Yola, click on the Domains tab in the upper menu.
- Scroll down to the Add a Domain you already own area and click on the Purchased a domain from another registrar? Transfer it to Yola! option.
- Click on Transfer a domain button.
- Enter the domain you want to transfer. Choose which site the domain will be assigned to from the dropdown list. When done, click the Continue button.
- The transfer process begins. Our domain partner OpenSRS will send an email to the address you have used to register the domain.
- When you receive this email, please follow the instructions to authorize OpenSRS to transfer the domain.
- OpenSRS will contact your current domain registrar to transfer the domain. You will receive an email when the transfer is completed.
- Once the transfer is complete, your domain will appear in the Domains tab on your Dashboard.
How much does it cost to transfer a domain to Yola?
The cost to transfer your domain is the same as a domain purchase for one year. You can also register your domain for a longer period of time, for example, two or five years. This is a cost-effective way of purchasing a domain.
Choose the number of years for which you want to register a domain during the checkout process:
What happens to my custom email address?
If you had a custom mailbox set up with your domain, you can surely reconnect it after the transfer by adding the needed MX records to your domain's DNS settings. However, some hosts do not allow a mailbox to be transferred, which means that once you transfer your domain, the mailbox will be disconnected. If this happens to you, you can always create a Yola Mail mailbox.
What happens if the transfer fails?
You will receive an email from us asking if you would like to retry the transfer. Alternatively, you can receive a refund.
What should I do if I don't hear anything for more than 14 days?
Contact our support and explain the situation. Do not forget to include the domain name you are trying to transfer.
Once the domain has been transferred, how do I publish my site?
When you start the domain transfer, you choose which site you would like to connect it to. Once the domain has been transferred, your Yola site will be automatically published to that domain.