In case you purchased a domain elsewhere, it can be transferred to Yola. This tutorial covers the steps required to transfer the domain from another registrar so you can manage it through Yola.
Please note: You can transfer .com, .net, .biz, and .org domains to Yola. If your domain has a different extension, you can only point your domain to Yola.
Before the transfer
Please take note of these important points:
- To be eligible for a transfer your domain needs to have been registered for more than 60 days. It must also not have been transferred to another registrar within those 60 days.
- Make sure you can access the email address you originally used to register your domain. Once you begin the transfer, our domain registration partner will send a confirmation email to that address.
- You will need to obtain an EPP or authorization code from your current domain registrar.
- Make sure your domain is unlocked. To find out if your domain is unlocked, look it up on www.who.is. If the Status is described as "ok" then it is ready for transfer. If the Status is "clientDeleteProhibited" then the domain is still locked. You will need to remove "privacy" from your domain's settings.
- During the transfer process, your domain will not be available online. To keep your website available, you can publish it to a subdomain. Once the transfer is complete, you can add your custom domain to your published site.
Starting the transfer
1. Log in to your Yola account and go to My Yola dashboard.
2. Click the Domains tab in the top toolbar.
3. Scroll down to the area Add a Domain you already own and click on the option Purchased a domain from another registrar? Transfer it to Yola!
4. Click on Transfer a domain button.
5. In the next step, enter the domain name you want to transfer. Choose which site the domain will be assigned to from the dropdown list. When done, click the Next step button.
- The transfer process begins. Our domain partner OpenSRS will send an email to the address you have used to register the domain.
- When you receive this email, please follow the instructions to authorize OpenSRS to transfer the domain.
- OpenSRS will contact your current domain registrar to transfer the domain. You will receive an email when the transfer has been completed.
- Once the transfer is complete, your domain will appear in the Domains tab in the My Yola dashboard.
Note: The transfer may take up to 14 days.
How much does it cost to transfer a domain to Yola?
The cost to transfer your domain is the same as a domain purchase for one year.
You can also register your domain for a longer period of time, for example, two or five years. This is a cost-effective way of purchasing a domain. Choose the number of years for which you want to register a domain in the dropdown menu on the left.
Domain transfer FAQ
What types of domains can I transfer?
You can transfer .com, .net, .biz and .org domain names only.
What happens to the email addresses I had already set up with my previous domain host?
Your existing domains will stop working when the domain has been transferred. You will be able to reinstate your email addresses with Yola Mail.
What happens if the transfer fails?
You will receive an email from us asking if you would like to retry the transfer. Alternatively, you can receive a refund.
What should I do if I don't hear anything for more than 14 days?
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org from the email address you use to login to your account on Yola. Please include the domain name you are trying to transfer.
Once the domain has been transferred, how do I publish my site online?
When you start the domain transfer, you choose which site you would like to publish to the domain. Once the domain has been transferred, your Yola site will be automatically published to that domain.