You can move your domain to Yola, while still keeping the old domain name. In this article, you are going to learn how to point a domain to a new host (Yola) by changing the domain’s DNS records (CNAME and A records).
Step 1. Add Yola records to your domain registrar
To point your domain located at another provider to Yola, you’ll need to amend CNAME and A records to make sure that your domain is routing to Yola's servers.
Once you have accessed your domain provider's nameserver records, use the information below to enter into the corresponding fields:
- Name: www or www.yourdomainname.com
- Value: www.yourdomainname.com.cdn.cloudflare.net.
- Name: @ or yourdomainname.com
- Value: 126.96.36.199
Make sure to replace yourdomainname.com with your actual domain name when adding the records.
Step 2. Enter your pointed domain name in My Yola
- In My Yola, go to the Domains area.
- Scroll down to the area Add a domain you already own and expand the tab Want to keep your domain registered with another registrar?
- Enter the domain name which you would like to point to your Yola site.
4. Next to the Use this domain for, choose the name of the Yola site you wish to point to from the drop-down list:
Step 3. Entering the CNAME at your registrar
1. Log in to your domain registrar (e.g. Network Solutions, GoDaddy, etc).
2. Proceed to its DNS management area. Most often, it’s located under the menu Domains. Please note that the location of DNS management can differ from one hosting provider to another.
3. Create the new CNAME record. Enter the CNAME you have copied from Yola in the corresponding field.
Save the changes. You should see the new CNAME record in the list.
Important: Each domain provider has different instructions when it comes to domain pointing. For example, with some providers, you may need only www as the CNAME name record, while others require your domain name with www appended, e.g. www.yourdomainname.com.
We strongly recommend checking your provider's requirements before adding DNS records or contacting them directly for advice.
Step 4. Entering the A record at your registrar
- While you are logged in to your registrar's domain management area, locate the field to add A record.
- Add @ or leave the field blank. Most registrars do not require the full domain to be added under the record name.
- Copy the A record from My Yola and enter it into the Points to field:
- Click Save.
Step 5. Completing the setup
It may take a couple of minutes for our system to establish the connection. Then it can take another hour or so for the pointed site to be found online. This is due to the CNAME zone creation and propagation which may take some time.
If your domain has not been pointed after 24 hours, please contact the customer support team for assistance so we could double-check your domain DNS records and guide you further if required.
Please note: Upgrade to Yola Bronze, Yola Silver, or Yola Gold to start pointing a domain.
If you face any difficulties, please consider transferring your domain (available only for .com, .net, .biz, and .org domain extensions) to Yola so we have control over your settings. Here's a tutorial with more information: Transferring a domain to Yola.
My domain is not pointing. What should I do?
Pointing usually takes up to 1-2 minutes. If the progress has not changed after an hour or so, please check if A and CNAME records were entered correctly. Make sure nothing is misspelled.
Let’s not forget that connecting domain via the pointing setup can take a couple of minutes, but for the site to be found online, it can take a lot longer.
Do I add a CNAME record or change the www record?
In some cases, you will need to change the www record for your pointing domain. You can do it in the same DNS management area of your domain provider. Always check the instructions of your domain name provider before making changes.