- Safeguards your rights against potential site abusers
- Helps you exclude visitors who misuse your platform
- Ensures a clear understanding between you, your company, and your customers.
Why Terms and Conditions are vital
Placing your Terms and Conditions
The positioning of your Terms and Conditions is crucial. Most websites choose to position a link to these terms at the bottom of their homepage. This placement allows users to easily access and review the terms at any time, and it seamlessly integrates into the overall design of the site. For those using the Online Store, you have the option to automatically place links to legal pages in the footer of all pages.
What to include in the Terms and Conditions page
Website terms and conditions page may include information related to the following areas:
- Copyright: Specify the ownership and usage of materials on your website, including any trademarks.
- Ownership: Clarify who owns the site and its content.
- Usage Requirements: Outline any prerequisites or conditions for using your site and online store, such as whether user registration is necessary.
Sample GDPR-Compliant Terms and Conditions
[START COPYING BELOW THIS LINE]
By accessing this website, you are agreeing to be bound by these Terms and Conditions of Use, all applicable laws, and regulations, and agree that you are responsible for compliance with any applicable local laws. If you do not agree with any of these terms, you are prohibited from using or accessing this site. The materials contained on this website are protected by applicable copyright and trademark law.
2. Use License
Permission is granted to temporarily download one copy of the materials (information or software) on MYCOMPANY's website for personal, non-commercial transitory viewing only. This is the grant of a license, not a transfer of title, and under this license, you may not:
- Modify or copy the materials.
- Use the materials for any commercial purpose, or for any public display (commercial or non-commercial).
- Attempt to decompile or reverse engineer any software contained on our company's website.
- Remove any copyright or other proprietary notations from the materials.
- Transfer the materials to another person or "mirror" the materials on any other server.
This license shall automatically terminate if you violate any of these restrictions and may be terminated by MYCOMPANY at any time. Upon terminating your viewing of these materials or upon the termination of this license, you must destroy any downloaded materials in your possession whether in electronic or printed format.
The materials on MYCOMPANY's website are provided "as is". MYCOMPANY makes no warranties, expressed or implied, and hereby disclaims and negates all other warranties, including without limitation, implied warranties or conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement of intellectual property or other violation of rights. Further, MYCOMPANY does not warrant or make any representations concerning the accuracy, likely results, or reliability of the use of the materials on its Internet website or otherwise relating to such materials or on any sites linked to this site.
[Continue with additional sections]
In no event shall MYCOMPANY or its suppliers be liable for any damages (including, without limitation, damages for loss of data or profit, or due to business interruption,) arising out of the use or inability to use the materials on my company's Internet site, even if MYCOMPANY or an MYCOMPANY authorized representative has been notified orally or in writing of the possibility of such damage. Because some jurisdictions do not allow limitations on implied warranties, or limitations of liability for consequential or incidental damages, these limitations may not apply to you.
5. Revisions and Errata
The materials appearing on MYCOMPANY's website could include technical, typographical, or photographic errors. MYCOMPANY does not warrant that any of the materials on its website are accurate, complete, or current. MYCOMPANY may make changes to the materials contained on its website at any time without notice. MYCOMPANY does not, however, make any commitment to update the materials.
MYCOMPANY has not reviewed all of the sites linked to its Internet website and is not responsible for the contents of any such linked site. The inclusion of any link does not imply endorsement by MYCOMPANY of the site. Use of any such linked website is at the user's own risk.
8. Governing Law
Any claim relating to my company's website shall be governed by the laws of the State of YOUR STATE without regard to its conflict of law provisions.
General Terms and Conditions are applicable to Use of a Web Site.
- Before or at the time of collecting personal information, we will identify the purposes for which information is being collected.
- We will collect and use personal information solely with the objective of fulfilling those purposes specified by us and for other compatible purposes unless we obtain the consent of the individual concerned or as required by law.
- We will only retain personal information as long as necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes.
- We will collect personal information by lawful and fair means and, where appropriate, with the knowledge or consent of the individual concerned.
- Personal data should be relevant to the purposes for which it is to be used, and, to the extent necessary for those purposes, should be accurate, complete, and up-to-date.
- We will protect personal information by reasonable security safeguards against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use, or modification.
- We will make readily available to customers information about our policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.
We are committed to conducting our business in accordance with these principles in order to ensure that the confidentiality of personal information is protected and maintained.
[END OF SAMPLE]
By following these guidelines and working with legal experts, you can create a robust and GDPR-compliant Terms and Conditions agreement that will serve both you and your users effectively.
We hope you find this article helpful. If you have any questions left, please contact our Support Team.
Ready to use your new knowledge? – Edit your site!