Choosing the right background color for an individual block can help its content stand out from the rest of your website. It's a great way to highlight your offer or your brand. You can choose to change the background of individual blocks or keep the pre-designed background images.
What are the recommended background image sizes?
Before replacing a block background image, please consider the following recommendations into image size and resolution.
- The best website background image size is 1920 x 1080 pixels and the ideal ratio is 16:9.
- The dpi (dots per inch) should be at least 72, yet consider keeping the file size as small as possible to minimize site loading time.
Important: The incorrect image size can lead to pixelation, stretching, and other viewing issues.
To ensure that your image shows well in all browsers, spend some time testing it. If you use Chrome, for example, make sure the image also loads and displays properly when using Safari and Firefox.
Upload the new background image
- Hover over the block with a background image. In the control panel, click the Edit image icon.
- Click Replace image.
- Next, choose one of the two options: to upload a file from your computer or mobile device, or to use a stock image.
The new background image will appear in your block.
Cropping your image
You can zoom in and out of the image as well as crop it by moving up, down, to the left or to the right. To do so, click on the Crop icon:
Next, move the slider to zoom in and out of the image. You can also drag and drop it to move up, down, to the left or to the right. Once done, click Submit to confirm the changes.
Quickly changing the background color
If you want to change the block background color (not the image), follow these steps:
1. Go to Block settings.
2. Click on the Appearance tab.
3. Choose one of the available color options. For this example, we have chosen a black background:
Note that the font colors of this block have also changed to ensure that the text remains easily readable.
Changing the background to a custom solid color
To set a plain color as a block background, follow these steps:
1. Use an image editor to create a rectangle shape filled with the color of your choice. Alternatively, search online for "color swatches" and take a partial screenshot of the color you like:
2. Upload this solid-colored image as a block background using the steps outlined above.
Alternatively, you can change the website color palette using the steps in this tutorial.
After creating a custom color palette, assign a new background color in the Light color setting:
Change the background overlay
You can quickly add a color overlay for a block image background to make your content stand out more. Here's how you can do it:
- Hover your cursor over the block you want to add the overlay to. Click Settings.
- In the Appearance tab, a tick to Add overlay.
- Move the sliding handle to achieve the desired level of transparency for the overlay.
- Once you have achieved the desired result, click Save to apply the background changes.
Changing the text block background
To change the text block background, follow these steps:
1. Navigate to the text block and click on the “gear” Settings icon to access the Block Settings area.
2. In the Appearance tab, you can choose a background color for your block. Each background color has been professionally selected to match the look and feel of your website template.
Note: the pre-defined text colors will be adjusted to lighter or darker ones, in order to maintain the contrasting color scheme and make the text more legible. You can learn more about text color formatting in this tutorial: Changing text colors.
3. Once you are done customizing your Text block, click Save to apply the changes. On mobile, click the floppy disk icon in the top right corner.
Can I remove the background image?
If your block design has an image background, you cannot delete it. If you prefer to have a plain color background for this block, then you can choose a new block with such design from the Block Library or change the block layout.