You can manage the links that appear in the navigation Header block of your website. You can have anything from simple navigation to a complex hierarchy with a tree of pages and subpages.
Navigation of a website should be an easy process and not require the visitor to take much time in figuring out how to move through your site.
Adding a navigation bar
A navigation bar gives your visitors the ability to move between the different sections of your website. It should be placed on every page of your site and should be consistent as well.
Most templates and business card websites already have a navigation Header block installed.
Managing Navigation settings
To access Navigation settings, click anywhere on the Header block. The navigation area will be highlighted:
Click Customize and then click Navigation settings:
In Navigation settings, you can:
- Add a new page to navigation by clicking the round purple + button
- Manage pages in navigation: click on the gear Settings icon next to the page name.
You can set a page title as it would appear in the navigation bar and also specify what the particular link does. You can link navigation items to a block on a page, another website page, or another URL. Learn more about managing navigation links from this tutorial.
Once you are done making changes to the navigation bar, click Submit.
Adding new items to the navigation
To add a new item to your navigation, click on the purple round + button. You will see a new window where you can set up the new navigation item.
From here you have a choice of navigation link actions. Click on the drop-down menu under Click action to choose one of the following:
- Open a web address: this link would open an external URL.
- Open a page: this link would open a page on your website.
- Download a file: this link will allow a visitor to download a file.
- Scroll to a block: this link will scroll down to another block on the page.
Once you have chosen the click action, enter the new item name in a field below. Optionally, allow the link to open in a new window.
Adding a link to a website page
1. Add the new Item name: for example, you want to add a link to another page of your website, let's call it Services. Type in Services.
2. Assign a Click action: If you are adding a link to an existing page on your site, click here and you will have a list of all pages available for placing into the navigation. In our example, let's click on Services.
3. To confirm the action, click on Add Item, and then Save.
4. Once the changes have been saved, you can see the new item in your navigation.
Links to external websites
If you would like to link to a page on an external website, follow these steps:
1. Activate the Navigation settings menu as described above.
2. Enter the name of the link into the Item Name field, for example, Samples.
3. On your external website, copy the URL of the page where you want the users when they click the link.
4. Paste the link in the Click Action field, then click Add Item and Save.
Once the changes have been saved, you will see your external website link in your site's navigation.
Links to downloadable files
To add a downloadable file to your header navigation, follow these steps:
1. Click on the + button to add a new navigation item.
2. In the Click action drop-down menu, choose Download a file.
3. Click Choose a file and select a file on your computer. Click Open. The file will be added.
4. Click Submit and Publish to make the changes live.