A favicon, also known as a browser icon, is an image that appears on the browser tab next to your site’s name. The term favicon is short for “favorites icon.”
Here are some places where you will see the favicon:
- The browser’s address bar for active pages.
- The list of favorites or bookmarks.
- The dropdown list of predicted URLs in the browser.
- On a link to your site on the “home screen” of a mobile device.
Creating a favicon
If you are ready to create a favicon, you have two ways of doing it:
- Search online for a favicon generator. A good example is https://www.favicon-generator.org which also generates app icons for iOS, Android, and Windows mobile devices.
- Create your image, which should measure 16 by 16 pixels. You can use an initial letter of your business name or a simplified version of your logo.
Remember, a favicon is a very small image. Avoid adding too much detail since a blurry favicon is worse than no favicon at all.
Adding a favicon
To add your custom favicon to your website, follow these steps:
Click the Main menu icon in the top left corner of the Sitebuilder.
- Click Settings in the Sidebar.
In the General tab of the Website settings, find the Favicon section.
- Click the Choose file button and click your favicon file on your device. Click Open in your browser, and the favicon will be added.
- Click Submit to confirm the changes and publish your website to make them live.
Your favicon will appear in your visitors' browser tabs and in bookmarks.
Note: The format for the image you have chosen must be 16x16 pixels or 32x32 pixels, using either 8-bit or 24-bit colors. The format of the image must be one of PNG (a W3C standard), GIF, or ICO.
We hope you find this article helpful. If you have any questions left, please contact our Support Team.
Ready to use your new knowledge? – Edit your site!